19 May 2012

Grab the Cooking Pot Too!


It rained this morning, no, it poured.  Usually the rain seems to calm everything down as everyone runs to seek shelter, but not my compound, not today.

Our pump is broken and we have been living without water for just about a week.  Some of my Peace Corps friends may give me a, “boohoo, you poor thing.” As they live without running water everyday, but being used to running water and being unprepared to not have running water can be somewhat more of a hassle.  Now I am not completely unprepared; my water situation has been notoriously finicky and after a few times of wanting to cook or take a shower and having no water I have started keeping a large plastic trash can filled with water.  But that water store is not meant to last for weeks at a time and my water supply is becoming perilously low.   Do not worry that when my water runs out it perilously means death—there is another pump a few hundred meters away—it just means a little more lugging of water.

Other than our privately owned pump we do not have any other super conveniently close water source.  So when it rained we all jumped into a flurry of action.  Unlike my host family who had cisterns to collect rainwater our compound is hopelessly pump-bound, but that didn’t stop us from making the most of heavy rains.

At the inside corners of the U that is our building, where the roof comes together, there is an amazing spigot of water when it rains and we all took advantage of it.  Grabbing our buckets, bowls, and as my neighbor shouted, “Grab the cooking pot too!” we filled up as much as we could with water.  I hastily washed some dishes and did some laundry so that I could run out and collect more water.  Only the littlest ones sat back dry and laughing as everyone else dashed around filling one container then the next.  I managed to finish with three large buckets of water after doing a load of laundry and my stack of dishes.  I am so glad for that rain.  Though I’m still hoping my pump will be fixed soon, it is a relief to know that I have a few more days’ worth of water.  

No comments:

Post a Comment