18 May 2012

Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting

There is a young girl about the age of three in my compound.  She lives with her two grandmothers and a teenage relative.  As you may or may not know about me I am not a big kid person.  We get along fine, but I tire quickly and really could do without.  This little girl though is quite adorable.  She directs all visitors—even those not here to see me—to my door, and shouts my name and runs over to pet me every time I catch her eye.  For all this cuteness, though, she is one of the most annoying and temper-tantrum prone children I have ever dealt with.

Within seconds her laughter turns to rage if things don’t go her way.  If it is meal time and her grandmother comes over to collect her she quickly throws herself against the wall beating her little fists and screaming.  Sometimes she screams and cries for hours on end.  If you’ve talked to me on the phone you’ve probably heard her, she is by no means quiet.  I feel for the women who care for her, who must be at least well into their seventies.

A few weeks ago when I returned home from traveling she seemed worse than ever.  I heard louder and more frequent tantrums; I hadn’t thought she could or would get worse.  For near a week I went about my evenings thinking this little girl had amplified her screaming, until I ventured over to share a snack of fruit and a woman emerged from the house leading a boy of about ten years.  The boy, Kossi, and his mother had been living in the house for the past week, I had never seen them, but boy had I heard them. It had been the young boy’s screams I had contributed my little girl. 

Upon seeing Kossi I felt a profound sadness and sympathy for his mother; he was visibly mentally handicapped.  While a handicapped child anywhere can be a great hardship for a parent, here there is nothing for these children.  Unlike in the U.S. there are absolutely no resources for families with handicapped children.  With no counselors or teachers specializing in mental disabilities and no state funded support, families are left to fend for themselves.  Without a halfway house or a way to earn money, as they get older and their families can no longer care for them, many of these mentally handicapped individuals are left on their own; becoming a town fou, living in rags, and begging around town.

As an outsider and childless I cannot imagine the strain this boy’s mother is under.  I don’t even take care of him and I have already grown weary of my 4:45am wake-up call as Kossi pounds on our metal gate screaming to be let out of the compound.  I flinch as he hits the other children or naively steals things from their hands, leaving them in tears.  I got annoyed at a little girl’s relatively normal tantrums and his were so much worse.  To feel that desperation that you cannot take care of you little boy forever and that he will never be able to take care of himself, I can hardly imagine.

The other day as I sat on my porch and Kossi played in the courtyard, he picked up a stick and began to practice his Kung-Fu.  It was such a normal and endearing thing for an ten year old boy to be doing I had to smile and when I looked over I saw Kossi’s mother leaning in the doorway eyes content on her son and a soft smile on her lips.  I was wrong when I said there was nothing here in Togo for the mentally handicapped, through it all there is still the patience and love of their families.  For all the screaming, hardships, and such uncertain future, you could still see how much Kossi’s mother loved him.  We can all hope that as things develop more options, support, and resources will become available to families such as his, but for now there is always his mother’s embrace and of course a little Kung-Fu fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment