19 October 2011

Do It Yourself

“Do it yourself” a concept that seems foreign here in Togo.  As you know, when it rains my roof has been leaking and my windows have been flooding my kitchen.  If I was in the States I would easily pop over to my local Home Depot to pick up a few supplies and voila my leaks would be fixed (OK I’m no roofer… my windows would at least be no problem).  But here, it’s another story.

I consider myself somewhat of a do-it-yourselfer, and when I can I do a project myself.  If there is a project to do, I can figure out what tools to use and find them easily.  Here, not only is the tool I’m looking for possibly not available, but it’s also possible I don’t know the name of the tool in French and neither does the salesman. 

In order to fix my windows my answer was caulk.  I found the French translation and sought out caulk at the local store.  No one knew what I was talking about.  I resorted to describing the product…my problem…my ideas on how to fix it…I was offered paint and when I turned that down, motorcycle sealant.

With my failed attempt to buy my preferred product I resorted to trying to seal up the cracks with aluminum foil I harvested from chocolate bars.  The first big rainstorm though proved that my candy wrappers and scotch tape were not sufficient to keep out the rains.  I made a second attempt to explain my problem and this time with some success the salesman suggested a new product that I don’t know the name of in French, Ewe, or English.  It’s a foil like tape with tar-like glue on the back.  It has yet to be tested by a torrential rain but I’m hopeful all the cracks have been sealed.

After finding the product, convincing everyone that I can do it myself was another obstacle.  The salesman was very confused when I explained I wanted to fix it myself.  He repeatedly told me to hire a carpenter to tape my window and when I said I’d do it myself he said he’d find a carpenter for me.  When I showed my landlord that I have found something to solve my problem, too, he also said a carpenter could come and install it.  He showed his doubt, but I let him know “I’m American I can do many things.”  He was doubtful and decided he had to come and survey my work after which he said he might need to do the same with the other apartments.  This isn’t the first time I’ve wowed the Togolese with my handy-man skills.  When I first moved in I wanted to change my locks and I did it myself.  When my homologue stopped in and saw I did it myself he gave me a high-five. 

It’s not just because I am female that I am not expected to do construction-type projects myself, but in general people do not do any specialized tasks for themselves.  Everyone has their specific jobs and if you have something you need done—a construction project, or something to be sewn—you go to the person who has that profession.  When you want a quick fix this can be tough for a do it yourself person like me.

1 comment:

  1. You are such a DIY type person!! This story is hilarious. Glad that your still determined even when in Togo! Miss you!! Hope I hear from you soon!
    Love. J

    ReplyDelete